Sponge for Roll Cake should be moist and soft. Dry Sponge, especially if it is thick, tends to break when you roll it up. My Swiss Roll Pan is about 33cm x 23cm in size. This Sponge would be about 12mm thick, when baked.
Swiss Roll Pan
4 Eggs *at room temperature
1/3 cup Caster Sugar
1 tablespoon Milk
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
20g Butter *melted
1/2 cup Self-Raising Flour
Filling & Topping
1 cup Thickened Cream
2 tablespoons Caster Sugar
- Preheat oven to 200℃. Line the base and sides of a Swiss roll pan with baking paper.
- Use an electric mixer to beat Eggs and Sugar and make the mixture very thick and pale. Add Milk, Vanilla and Butter, mix to combine, the volume will be slightly reduced but do not worry, sift in Flour, and gently combine.
- Pour into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the surface is dry to the touch. Cover with a tea towel and allow to cool.
- Whip Cream and Caster Sugar until soft peaks form. Cut Strawberries into quarters or small pieces. *Note: Save some for decoration,
- Place the sponge onto a clean work surface and peel the baking paper, but do not remove the paper. Spread the whipped Cream over the sponge, whichever side you prefer, scatter the Strawberry pieces evenly, then roll sponge to enclose filling using the paper.
- Decorate the cake with remaining cream and saved Strawberries.