Do not worry about thinly slicing Beef for ‘Sukiyaki’. Use Beef Mince! It is easy and tastes the same, but a little bit hard to eat. So, place it on top of the rice and make it a yummy ‘Donburi’ dish!
500g Beef Mince
1 tablespoon Oil
1/4 (about 300g) Wombok (Chinese Cabbage)
2 Spring Onion
*Note: You can add Shiitake, Shimeji, Spinach, etc.
4 servings Cooked Rice
4-5 tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 tablespoons Mirin
2 tablespoons Sugar
1/2 cup Dashi Stock OR Water
- Slice Onion and Carrot. Cut Wombok about 2cm.
- Heat Oil in a large fry pan cook Beef Mince. When the beef starts to change colour, add vegetables and cook for a few minutes.
- Add Dashi (OR Water), Sugar, Mirin and Soy Sauce and let everything cook in the sauce.
- When the vegetables are soft, crack and place the Eggs apart from each other onto the mixture and let them half cooked.
- Half fill a bowl with freshly Cooked Rice and cover with the Sukiyaki mixture with one Egg each.
Really yummy! I cook for one person and always rack my brains about how to use a whole wombok in a variety of dishes. This recipe will definitely be saved!
Thanks to your comment, Roki. I am so glad you liked this dish. This is one of my frequently repeated dinner menus. There is one wombok dish that I am fond of, and it is Wombok Creamy Stew. http://www.hirokoliston.com/wombok-creamy-stew/
Thank you! Will try that definitely too!