Sweet & Sour Chicken is yummy as it is. But it tastes even better with this homemade Tartar Sauce. Are you skeptical about Sweet & Sour Chicken with Tartar Sauce? Once I was, and I was surprised when I first tasted it. Why don’t you try it? This dish might become one of your favourite chicken dishes.
Chicken Thigh Fillets 500 to 600g
Salt & Pepper
Eggs 1 to 2 *whisked
Oil for frying
Sweet & Sour Sauce
Soy Sauce 4 tablespoons
Sugar 4 tablespoons
Rice Vinegar 4 tablespoons
1 large Boiled Egg
2 tablespoons finely chopped Onion
2 tablespoons finely chopped Pickled Gherkin OR Cucumber
1 tablespoon finely chopped Parsley
4 tablespoons Japanese Mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Whole Grain Mustard
- Make Sweet & Sour Sauce by combining all the ingredients. You can alter the amount of each ingredient to suit your taste.
- Make Tartar Sauce by combining all the ingredients. Coarsely chop up the Boiled Egg and mix with all other ingredients.
- Cut the Chicken Fillets into 3-4cm pieces and Salt & Pepper. Coat with Plain Flour, then Egg.
- Heat Oil, deep enough to cover chicken, to 170ºC and cook chicken until golden. Place the hot fried chicken pieces into the Sweet & Sour Sauce and marinate for a couple of minutes.
- Serve with Tartar Sauce on top or side.
I thought i was the only one who liked Tartar Sauce on fried chicken! Been doing that for 30 years now.
Tartar Sauce goes well with Teriyaki Chicken. Even better with this Sweet and Sour Chicken!!!