‘Soboro’ (Crumbled Meat) dishes are my children’s favourite and I cook them frequently. It’s easy to cook, inexpensive and yummy! But, after cooking them over and over again, it was time for me to create a new ‘Soboro’ dish. My daughter is a big fan of Southeast Asian food. So I tried something Asian.
This ‘Thai Inspired Chicken & Basil Soboro Don’ is seasoned with Fish Sauce, not Soy Sauce. Plus I added plenty of Basil leaves. Southeast Asian Basil is hard to find, so I use Sweet Basil that is widely available. Serve with crispy fried eggs!!!
Chicken Mince 500g
Ginger 1 small piece *finely chopped OR grated
Onion 1/2 to 1
Green Capsicum 1
Red Capsicum 1
Oil 1 to 2 tablespoons
Basil 1 bunch *You need about 1/2 cup of sliced leaves.
Chilli Garlic Sauce 2 to 3 tablespoons
Fish Sauce 2 tablespoons
Sugar 1 tablespoon
Oil for cooking Eggs
Freshly Cooked Rice 4 servings
- Cut Onion and Capsicums into small pieces.
- Place Chilli Garlic Sauce, Fish Sauce and Sugar in a small bowl and mix well. If you can’t find Chilli Garlic Sauce, you can use fresh Garlic and Chilli, but I don’t know how much of them as I always use Chilli Garlic Sauce.
- Heat Oil in a frying pan and cook Chicken Mince and Ginger.
- When Chicken changes colour, add Onion and Capsicums and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the sauce, cook until the sauce thickens, then add coarsely sliced Basil Leaves and combine well.
- Cook crispy Eggs.
- Half fill a bowl with Freshly Cooked Rice and cover it with the mixture. Place the crispy fried Egg on top and Serve.