This is my children’s favourite Clear Soup that their Obaa-san (Grandmother) in Japan used to cook for them. She always uses ‘Iriko’ (Dried Baby Sardines / Anchovies) for this soup. For us, this soup got to be cooked with ‘Iriko’ OR ‘Iriko’ Dashi Powder, but you can use any Dashi stock of your choice.
4 cups Dashi Stock *Iriko (Dried Baby Sardines / Anchovies) Dashi is recommended, but any type of Dashi Stock can be used
1 teaspoon Salt
1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
1/2 to 1 block Tofu *Momen OR medium soft type Tofu
2 Eggs *Lightly beaten
2 to 3 Spring Onion *finely Chopped
- Cut Tofu into small cubes. For this soup, Silken OR Momen Tofu is the best.
- Combine lightly beaten Eggs and chopped Spring Onion in a small bowl.
- Bring Dashi Stock to the boil in a large saucepan.
- *How to make ‘Iriko’ Dashi Stock: Add a handful of ‘Iriko’ (Dried Baby Sardines / Anchovies) to 4 cups of Water and boil for 8 or 10 minutes, then remove ‘Iriko’. *Note: I recommend to remove head and gut from the fish before adding to the water to reduce the bitter taste in the stock. Remove head first, then remove gut.
- *Instant Dashi Powder: Use about 2 teaspoons Dashi Powder for 4 cups Water OR according to the instruction on the package.
- Season with Salt and Soy Sauce. Add Tofu, bring back to the boil, then slowly add Egg mixture. Stir only slightly and do not over cook.
Leave a Reply