I often cook similar dishes using Gnocchi. ‘Gnocchi & Mushrooms In Butter Soy Sauce’ is my favourite. However, Gnocchi is not so quick & easy to make as Boiled Potatoes are the main ingredient. These Ukrainian Dumplings have harder texture than Gnocchi as they are made without Potato, and Dumplings are much easier and quicker to make.
1 cup Plain Flour *plus extra
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/4 cup Milk OR Water
1/2 Egg *whisked
*Note: You can use 1 Egg and add extra Flour
30g Butter *melted
1 tablespoon Olive Oil OR Oil of your choice
1/2 Onion *cut into small pieces
80g Bacon *cut into small pieces
200g Mushrooms cut in half or quarters
1 clove Garlic *finely chopped
Salt & Black Pepper
Spring Onion & Dill
- To make Dumplings, combine Flour and Salt in a mixing bowl, add warm Water, Egg and Butter, and stir to combine. Knead, adding extra Flour as required, and form a dough that is soft but not sticky.
- Divide the dough into four portions on a floured surface, roll each portion into a log in the thickness of your choice, then cut into bite-size pieces. *Note: You can divide the dough into two portions and make the logs thicker, and cut them into thinner pieces.
- Prepare all other ingredients.
- Heat Oil in a frying pan over medium heat, cook Onion and Mushrooms, then add Bacon and Garlic, and stir until everything is cooked and nicely browned.
- Meanwhile, cook Dumplings in rapidly boiling salted water in a large saucepan. Once Dumplings float, keep cooking for a few minutes. If you like them softly cooked, cook a little longer.
- When Vegetables and Bacon are cooked, add Butter, then add drained Dumplings, and sauté for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle with some chopped Spring Onion and Dill, and enjoy immediately.