I have made many different Meatballs in my life, but this is definitely one of the top 3. These ‘Ukrainian Pork Meatballs’ are absolutely delicious. I looked at several recipes that I found on the internet, and again I found they use too much Salt. I reduced the amount of Salt for my recipe. Using the ingredients that are easily available in Melbourne, Australia, this is the easy recipe for anyone who wants to try Ukrainian Pork Meatballs.
500g Pork Mince
1/2 to 1 Onion *finely grated & drained
1 clove Garlic *grated
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Ground Pepper
2 tablespoons Mayonnaise *I used Japanese Mayonnaise
1/2 cup ‘Panko’ Breadcrumbs *plus extra if required
Fine Breadcrumbs for coating *You would need about 1/4 cup
Oil for cooking
- Finely grate Onion and drain. I recommend to press the grated Onion to remove excess water.
- In a mixing bowl, combine Pork Mince, drained Onion, Garlic, Egg, Salt & Pepper and Mayonnaise. Add ‘Panko’ Breadcrumbs and mix well. If the mixture is too soft to roll, add extra ‘Panko’.
- Roll the mixture into 3cm size balls and slightly flatten. Coat with Fine Breadcrumbs. The Meatballs look like small patties.
- Heat a generous amount of Oil in a frying pan over medium low heat, cook the Meatballs, in batches, until both sides are nicely browned and cooked though. Repeat with remaining Meatballs.
- *Note: Alternatively, you can bake the Meatballs in the oven. Preheat the oven to 200℃, bake for 15-20 minutes OR until Meatballs are browned and cooked through.