‘Sumiso (Su-Miso)’ is Vinegared Miso Dressing. This dressing is so good with boiled Octopus or Squid, and also fresh Konnyaku. Of course it is great for salad! My mother used to make iceberg lettuce salad with ‘Sumiso’. I use Wombok, ‘Hakusai’ in Japanese, for the dish instead. A popular dish for Japanese style dinner ‘Ichijū Sansai’ as a second dish.
Wombok 1/2 *‘Asazuke’ Wombok can be used
Salt 1 teaspoon
Miso 2 tablespoons *lighter colour Miso recommended
Sugar 1 tablesspoon
Rice Vinegar 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons
Hot Mustard 1 teaspoon
Toasted Sesame Seeds
- Wash Wombok and cut 2 to 3cm. Place Wombok and Salt in a large mixing bowl or a large plastic bag, rubbing well, then set aside for a while.
- Make ‘Sumiso’ by mixing Miso, Sugar, Rice Vinegar and Mustard.
- Drain the salty water from Wombok and squeeze out.
- Combine Wombok and ‘Sumiso’ well and sprinkle Toasted Sesame Seeds over and serve.
- You can add grated Ginger, Garlic, Toban Djan (Chili Bean Sauce) or Sesame Oil for extra flavour if you like.