The other day, my daughter gave me a small jar of ground Sanshō peppercorns. She said she would never use it as she would never cook Eels. I told her Sanshō is not only for grilled Eels, and she could use Sanshō for anything just like Ground Pepper. If you have Sanshō and don’t know how to use it, here is one recipe. ‘Quick & Easy Canned Sardines Rice Bowl’ is also recommended.
1 Chicken Thigh Fillet OR Breast Fillet *about 180g
1 pinch Salt
1 teaspoon Oil *I used Canola Oil
1 large Spring Onion *cut into 3-4cm long pieces
1 Egg *cooked in your favourite method, I microwaved it
1 serving warm Cooked Rice
Sanshō Miso Sauce
1 tablespoon Miso
1 tablespoon Mirin
1/2 to 1 teaspoon Sugar *alter the amount
1/4 teaspoon Ground Sanshō *pus extra
*Note: Sanshō can be replaced with Chilli.
*Note: If more saltiness is required, add a small amount of Soy Sauce
- Combine all the Sauce ingredients in a small bowl. *Note: If more saltiness is required, depending on the saltiness of the Miso, you can add a small amount of Soy Sauce.
- Cut Chicken Fillet into bite-size pieces and season with 1 pinch Salt. Prepare all other ingredients.
- Heat Oil in a small frying pan over medium heat, cook Chicken pieces. When Chicken pieces are nicely browned and cooked, add white parts of Spring Onion and cook for a minute, then add green parts.
- When Spring Onion is cooked, remove from the heat. Add the Sauce to the hot pan, and stir to combine. *Note: Remaining heat cooks the sauce.
- Half fill a bowl with warm Cooked Rice and cover it with the Chicken and Spring Onion mixture. Add Egg, sprinkle with extra Sanshō, and enjoy.