My Doughnuts recipe is based on my sweet bread dough recipe. Firmer dough is easier to manage, so you can add extra Flour to make the dough firmer. I use a round scone cutter to cut out discs and a small vegetable cutter’s other end to cut out centres. Some people do not cut out centres and just make holes, but I like cutting out centres because they will become small ball doughnuts that I love.
12 Rings & 12 Balls
2 teaspoons OR 7g sachet Dry Yeast
3/4 cup Milk *warmed
2 tablespoons Caster Sugar
2 cups Plain Flour *plus extra for kneading
1/2 teaspoon Salt
20g Butter *softened
1 Egg *lightly whisked
Canola Oil for frying
1/4 cup Caster Sugar for coating
1 to 2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon for coating *optional
- Heat Milk and Sugar in microwave for 30 seconds. When it is warm, add Yeast and mix well.
- Combine Flour and Salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour the yeast mixture, lightly whisked Egg and softened Butter. Mix well to form a soft dough. Knead for 2 to 3 minutes, adding extra Flour, until smooth. Cover and prove for 1 to 2 hours or until dough has doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough. On a lightly floured surface, roll out about 1cm thick. Use a 7 to 8cm round cutter to cut out discs. Use a 3cm round cutter to cut out centres. Place on a lined tray and set aside for 20 to 30 minutes to rise.
- Heat Oil to about 150°C and deep-fry doughnuts until puffed and golden each side.
- *Tips: When the dough is very soft, cut out the baking paper and fry the doughnuts with the paper. Remove the paper as soon as the doughnuts come off.
- Coat doughnuts with Caster Sugar or mixture of Caster Sugar and Cinnamon. Repeat with remaining doughnuts.