Based on Auntie Lorna’s Scone recipe, my Japanese original ‘Matcha & Chunky Chocolate Scones’ are naturally delicious! If you like Matcha flavour, add extra Matcha powder. I used dark chocolate this time, but white chocolate is also very nice for this Matcha scone.
Because baking time is only 10 minutes or so, these scones can be made very quickly and easier than pancakes!
2 cups Self-Raising Flour
1/4 cup Caster Sugar
60g Cold Regular Butter *Not the unsalted butter!
1 to 2 tablespoons Matcha Powder
2/3 cup Milk
100g Chocolate *coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 220℃. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place Flour and Sugar in a large bowl. Cut the Butter into small cubes and add to the flour mixture. Using fingertips, rub the Butter pieces into flour mixture until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Then add Matcha Powder and mix well.
- Add Milk and stir until a sticky dough forms. Knead gently until just combined, then add chopped Chocolate and mix evenly.
- Using your palm, gently flatten the dough to 2cm thick rectangle shape. Cut to 12 pieces. Today I cut this way.
- Place scones on prepared tray. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden and hollow when tapped on top.