When I was cooking ‘Chicken Cream Stew’ for dinner one day, I was regretful that I hadn’t bought a nice crusty bread. I still had 50 minutes until dinner time, so I started making bread. I had heard about microwave enforced proofing for quick bread making. I made 4 bread rolls that evening. The bread rolls tasted OK but not proved well and 4 small rolls were not enough for my hungry family.
Since then, I have been improving my quick bread making recipe by trial and error. Microwaving makes the dough warmer and definitely helps the proofing process. And 1 teaspoon Baking Powder would help. Here is my 1-Hour Focaccia recipe for you to try.
Warm Water 3/4 cup
Dry Yeast 1 teaspoon
Sugar 1 tablespoon
Olive Oil 2 tablespoons
Bread Flour 2 cups
Baking Powder 1 teaspoon
Salt 1/2 teaspoon
Extra Olive Oil
Salt & Herbs for topping
- Place Warm Water, Dry Yeast and Sugar in a bowl, mix gently and set aside.
- Place Bread Flour, Baking Powder and Salt in a large heat-proof bowl, and mix to combine. Make a well in the centre and pour in the yeast mixture and Olive Oil. Mix well to form a soft dough. Knead for 2 to 3 minutes, adding extra flour if required, until smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap. Heat in the microwave on low power (150 to 200W) for 30 seconds, and set aside in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, punch down the dough slightly, then heat in the microwave on low power (150 to 200W) for 30 seconds again.
- Transfer the dough on a lightly oiled baking tray OR lined with baking paper. Using your fingers, flatten the dough to 30cm in length and about 1cm thick. *Note: Drizzle some Olive Oil over the dough will make it easier to flatten.
- Cover with plastic wrap again and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 220℃.
- Drizzle some Olive Oil, sprinkle 1 pinch Salt and some Herbs over, and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. *Tips: Instead of Olive Oil, Salt and Herbs, spread some garlic butter before baking to make Garlic Focaccia.
- *Note: If you can’t use the oven, you can cook it using a frying pan, grill pan, hotplate, etc. Cook 4 to 5 minutes over low heat on each side.