This recipe is actually almost identical to my ‘Fruit Tart’. I simply increased the amount of Almond Cream to fill the tart case, and covered it with Almond Flakes. This is a very simple tart. If you use a smaller tart pan, I recommend my ‘Easiest Sweet Shortcrust Pastry’. Almond Cream can be made with about same amount of Butter, Sugar, Eggs and Almond Meal. It would be easy for you to alter the amount.
25cm Loose Base Tart Pan
Sweet Shortcrust Pastry
1 & 2/3 cups Plain Flour
4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) Sugar
*Note: For a smaller pan, try ‘Easiest Sweet Shortcrust Pastry’
Filling & Topping
125g Butter *softened
125g (OR 1/2 cup) Caster Sugar
3 Eggs *room temperature
125g (OR 1 & 1/4 cups) Almond Meal
1/2 cup Almond Flakes
Icing Sugar for dusting
- To make Shortcrust Pastry, combine Plain Flour and Sugar in a mixing bowl, cut Butter into small cubes and add to the bowl, and rub in with fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add lightly beaten Egg and mix to combine. Knead the dough gently and shape into a disc. Wrap in plastic food warp sheet and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes to firm up.
- *Note: You might prefer making this Shortcrust Pastry like Cookie Dough. Beat softened Butter and Sugar until smooth. Beat in Egg and mix well, add Flour and mix to combine, then knead gently and shape into a disc. You need to refrigerate for a longer time to firm it up.
- Roll the dough to 3-4mm thickness and transfer to a loose base tart pan. Trim off the extra dough. Use a fork to make lots of holes. *Note: This process can be tricky. DO NOT worry about it. You can patch up any tears. Just cover the tart pan evenly.
- Preheat the Oven to 170℃.
- To make Almond Cream, mix softened Butter and Caster Sugar until smooth, add Eggs, one at a time, and mix until creamy, then add Almond Meal, and mix well. Spread this Almond Cream evenly over the pastry, and cover with Almond Flakes.
- Bake for 40 minutes OR until cooked through. When top gets too dark, cover with a sheet of foil. Cool completely. Dust with Icing Sugar before serve.