I made this Fruit Tart for my daughter’s birthday on her request. She changed her mind later and asked for Profiteroles, but I made it anyway. It looks complicated to make, but each element is simple. If you use store-bought Frozen Sweet Fran/Pie Base, it’s really easy to make. Today I used my Basic Shortcrust Pastry. However, I used Self-Raising Flour by mistake. That’s why the tart crust is very thick.
25cm Loose Base Tart Pan
40g Butter *softened
3 tablespoons Caster Sugar
1 Egg *about 40g
1/2 cup Almond Meal
2 to 3 Egg Yolks
4 tablespoons Sugar
2 tablespoons Plain Flour
1 cup Milk *warmed
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract *OR flavour of your choice
Fresh Fruit *e.g. Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries, Grapes, Kiwi Fruit, Mango, Figs, Banana, etc.
- To make Shortcrust Pastry, combine Plain Flour and Sugar in a mixing bowl, cut Butter into small cubes and add to the bowl, and rub in with fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add lightly beaten Egg and mix to combine. Knead the dough gently and shape into a disc. Wrap in plastic food warp sheet and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes to firm up.
- *Note: You might prefer making this Shortcrust Pastry like Cookie Dough. Beat softened Butter and Sugar until smooth. Beat in Egg and mix well, add Flour and mix to combine, then knead gently and shape into a disc. You need to refrigerate for a longer time to firm it up.
- Roll the dough to 3-4mm thickness and transfer to a loose base tart pan. Trim off the extra dough. *Note: This process can be tricky. DO NOT worry about it. You can patch up any tears. Just cover the tart pan evenly.
- Use a fork to make lots of holes, place the pan in the fridge while you are making Almond Cream. Preheat the Oven to 170℃.
- To make Almond Cream, mix softened Butter and Caster Sugar until smooth, add Egg and mix until creamy, then add Almond Meal and mix well. Spread this Almond Cream evenly on the base and bake for 20 minutes OR until nicely golden. Cool completely.
- To make Custard Cream, place Egg Yolks and Sugar in a saucepan and combine well. Add Flour and mix well. Add warmed Milk and Vanilla, and mix well. Cook over a medium low heat, stirring constantly, until custard comes to the boil and thickens. Add Butter and mix well. Cool completely.
- Remove the cooled tart crust from the pan, fill with the cooled Custard Cream, then decorate with a variety of Fruit.