I saw Fruit Mince stuffed roll cookies on the internet. The picture inspired me to make these ‘Tsubu-an’ (Sweet Azuki Paste) & Walnuts stuffed cookies. I used my ‘Dates & Walnuts Stuffed Coffee Cookies’ recipe. I added Matcha Powder to the dough because Matcha and ‘Tsubu-an’ go very well together. To keep the Matcha colour, not to brown the cookies, I recommend to bake at a lower temperature.
32 OR 24 Cookies
125g Butter *softened
1/2 cup Caster Sugar
1 pinch Salt
1 tablespoon Matcha Powder
1 & 3/4 cup Self-Rising Flour
Azuki & Walnuts Filling
50g finely shopped Roasted Walnuts
- Beat softened Butter, Sugar and Salt until smooth. Beat in Egg, add sifted Matcha Powder, and mix well. Add Flour and mix to form soft dough.
- *Note: This dough is probably too soft to work with. Divide into 4 even portions, cover with a plate or lid, and refrigerate for 20 minutes OR until slightly firm.
- Meanwhile, lightly roast Walnuts, finely chop them up, and mix with Tsubu-an (Sweet Azuki Paste).
- On a lightly floured surface (OR a sheet of baking paper), roll each portion into about 11cm x 22cm rectangle. Spread 1/4 of filling on each rectangle, and carefully wrap up. *Note: Patch any tears and cracks.
- Wrap each roll with plastic food wrap and leave in the fridge until firm.
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a large baking tray (OR 2 trays) with baking paper.
- Cut each roll into 8 pieces (OR 6 pieces), place on the prepared baking tray, seam-side down, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool.