The filling of Dates & Walnuts can be replaced with Chocolate, Crunchy Peanut Butter, OR etc. Making these cookies can be a fun family activity, though it might be too difficult for young children.
125g Butter *softened
1/2 cup Caster Sugar
1 tablespoon Instant Coffee Granules *mixed with 1/2 tablespoon Hot Water
1 & 3/4 cup Self-Rising Flour
Dates & Walnuts Filling
100g pitted Dry Dates *finely chopped
2 tablespoons Hot Water
1 teaspoon Brandy OR Rum *OR extra Water
2 tablespoons Brown Sugar *optional
1/4 cup finely shopped Walnuts
- Place finely chopped Dates in a small bowl, add Hot Water and Brandy (OR Rum), and mix well. Set aside for a while.
- Finely chop up Walnuts. Add Brown Sugar (*optional) and Walnuts to the softened Dates, and mix to combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat softened Butter and Sugars until smooth and well combined. Beat in Egg, add Coffee and mix well. Add Flour and mix well to form soft dough.
- Preheat oven to 180℃. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Roll the dough into 24 balls. Form each ball into a cup, place 1/2 teaspoonful the filling, and close into a ball. Gently flatten into a disc. *Note: If the dough is too soft to handle, allow to cool in the fridge to firm up.
- Place 12 discs on each prepared tray, closed side down. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and cooked. While the cookies are still hot, carefully press down slightly. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.