Do you like Ratatouille? I love it and used to cook it very often. But, since I started cooking this ‘Baked Vegetables’, I always prefer this dish. I use same ingredients, but the result is richer and more intense flavour, probably because the vegetables are baked in high heat.
The amount of the vegetables is so large and you might think it is too much for 4 servings, but the amount is right. Enjoy it with nice crusty bread or pasta of your choice, and chilled wine.
Garlic 2 cloves *finely chopped
Capsicums 2 *Green, Red OR Yellow
Ripe Tomatoes 4 *OR Canned Tomatoes 400g x 2
Tomato Paste 4 tablespoons
Olive Oil 1/4 cup
Salt 1 teaspoon
Cracked Papper as much as you like
Herbs of your choice *e.g. Basil, Oregano, Thyme, Bay Leaf, Dill, etc.
- Preheat oven to 220C.
- Prepare vegetables. Cut Onion into small pieces and cut other vegetables chunky pieces. If you are using fresh herbs, they need to be finely chopped.
- Into a large baking dish or roasting pan, arrange Onion and Garlic, then Eggplant, Capsicum and Zucchini, drizzle Olive Oil all over and Salt and Herbs.
- Lastly, place Tomatoes and Tomato Paste. Cook for about 1 hour if the vegetables are cold. Freshly harvested vegetables from your garden cook quicker.
- You must stir and turn the vegetables several times to make sure they are cooked evenly.
- I often transfer the baked vegetables into a large baking dish and brown the top slightly in the oven that is still hot.
Vegetables bakes are such a hit on all the meals..!! Just can’t wait anymore to bake your recipe for our next family meet. Kindly suggest the herb toppings that would go best with it.