The other day, I wanted make Oats Scones and I looked for recipes. Most recipes I found required some sorts of Flour. Some recipes required something I had never heard of. Those recipes were not good for me because I wanted to use just Oats. I ended up starting a new challenge. This recipe requires only Oats. I blended the ingredients using a stick blender, then added some Dark Chocolate. No special ingredients are necessary.
1 small Ripe Banana
1/4 cup Oil OR melted Butter *I used Sunflower Oil
1/4 cup Milk of your choice
1 tablespoon Caster Sugar *OR your favourite sweeter such as Maple Syrup, Honey, etc.
*Note: If you use Syrup OR Honey, you need to reduce the amount of Milk
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
2 cups Quick Oats *about 160g, Rolled Oats can be used, see ‘Method 4’
Corn Starch OR Flour of your choice to work with the dough
30 to 40g Dark Chocolate *coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 180℃. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Coarsely chop up Dark Chocolate.
- Finely mash Banana in a mixing bowl. Add Oil (OR melted Butter), Milk, Sugar (OR your favourite sweeter), Salt and Baking Powder, and mix well.
- Add Quick Oats, mix to combine, then use a stick blender to half blend the mixture into a sticky dough. *Note: Make sure your stick blender is strong enough to do this work.
- *Note: If you use Rolled Oats, OR you don’t have a stick blender, you can blend everything together using a food processor. Alternatively, grind Oats and add it to the wet ingredients.
- If the mixture is too wet, add extra Oats. If it is too dry, add extra Milk.
- Add coarsely chopped Dark Chocolate to the dough and combine evenly.
- Sprinkle some Corn Starch (OR Flour of your choice) on a flat surface, and form the mixture into 2cm thick round. Cut into 8 pieces.
- Place Scones on the prepared tray. Bake for 20 minutes or until nicely browned and cooked through.
For past years, I’ve been looking for a good banana oatmeal scone recipe and your recipe is the best!!! I just want to thank you for sharing this delicious but simple recipe! I added your page in my favorite and look forward making other recipes you have as well! Thank you so much!
Hi Yuka. Thank you for your comment and I am so glad you liked my recipe. I was like you. I looked for recipes and I was not happy with any of them. I look forward to hearing from you again, probably on a different recipe page.
Hi, if omit banana, can?
Sweetness comes from Banana and the mashed Banana binds the ingredients. If you omit it, you would need to add a substitute.