I used to wake up in the morning, in the house that was filled with the lovely smell of freshly baked bread thanks to my bread machine. I don’t have the machine any more and I bake the bread in the oven using the same recipe. If you use a bread machine, use Water or Water & Powdered Milk.
1 Medium Size Loaf
1 & 1/4 cup Warm Milk OR Warm Water
1 tablespoon Sugar
2 teaspoons Dry East
3 cups Bread Flour
1 teaspoon Salt
1 tablespoon melted Butter OR Olive Oil
- Place Warm Milk (OR Warm Water), Dry Yeast and Sugar in a bowl, mix gently and set aside.
- Place Bread Flour and Salt in a large heat-proof bowl, and mix to combine. Make a well in the centre and pour in the Yeast mixture and Butter (OR Olive Oil). Mix well to form a soft dough. Knead for 2 to 3 minutes, adding extra flour if required, until smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough with a plate or plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- After 1 hour, punch down the dough slightly. Divide the dough in half, and make them into balls then place in a lightly greased loaf tin. (*Dividing process is probably not necessary, but I do this always.) Set aside in a warm place for 1/2 to 1 hour or until doubled. Preheat oven to 180℃.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from loaf tin to wire rack to cool.