‘Mazegohan’ is a Japanese rice dish. Rice and other ingredients are cooked separately and mixed together. This is a Korean inspired ‘Mazegohan’ that I used Gochujang (Korean Spicy Miso) for seasoning. It’s spicy but only slightly. You might be interested in Japanese flavoured ‘Asian Mushroom Mazegohan’ and ‘Asian Mushrooms & Garlic Mazegohan’.
2 cups (*180ml cup) Japanese Short Grain Rice
About 200g Asian Mushrooms of your choice
*Note: Today I used 6 Shiitake Mushrooms, 100g Shimeji and 80g Enoki
1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
250g Beef Steak *thinly sliced
Salt *OR extra Soy Sauce
1 Spring Onion *finely chopped
Toasted Sesame Seeds
1 tablespoon Sugar
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Gochujang (Korean Spicy Miso) *alter the amount to suit your taste
1 clove Garlic *grated
1 small piece Ginger *grated
- Wash Rice and cook as normal.
- Thinly slice Beef Steak and cut into bite-size pieces. Slice Shiitake. Cut off the bottom of Shimeji and Enoki, tear OR cut into smaller pieces. *Note: All Mushrooms need to be cut into the size that is easy to eat.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- When the Rice is cooked, start cooking Beef. Heat Sesame Oil in a frying pan, cook Beef pieces. When cooked, add Mushrooms, but do not add Enoki yet as Enoki can be cooked very quickly.
- When Mushrooms are cooked, add Enoki, add the sauce, and stir to combine. Add the mixture to the cooked Rice and gently mix to combine. Add Salt OR extra Soy Sauce if required.
- Sprinkle some chopped Spring Onion and Toasted Sesame Seeds, and serve. *Note: You may wish to add some Kimchi as well.
Leave a Reply