‘Bread Butter Pudding’ is NOT a familiar food to most Asian people. I didn’t know it. It’s a humble dessert that can be made with the ingredients that most people have at home. I am not a big fan of it, but I make it for my husband, who is very fond of it as he grew up on it.
4 to 6 Servings
8 slices White Bread *use ‘Toast’ slices that are thicker than ‘Sandwich’ slices
Butter *enough to butter bread slices and baking dish
Apricot Jam *optional but recommended
Sultanas OR Raisins
1/4 cup Caster Sugar
300ml Cream *OR Milk
2 cups (500ml) Milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 tablespoon Light Brown Sugar OR White Sugar
Ice Cream OR Thickened Cream to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Butter the baking dish and all slices of Bread. Spread some Apricot Jam on the bread slices as well, but it is optional. Cut each slice into triangles.
- Arrange a half of the bread triangles in a large baking dish, sprinkle with some Cinnamon, and scatter some Sultanas over the bread. Repeat with the remaining bread triangles. *Note: You can arrange the bread as you like.
- Whisk Eggs, Caster Sugar, Cream and Milk in a bowl. The amount of the mixture is about 1 litre and you might think it is too much for 8 slices of Bread, but I believe this is right amount.
- *Tips: I usually warm the mixture in the microwave as it will reduce the baking time. Do not overheat it as it will cook the mixture.
- Pour the mixture over the bread. Sprinkle with Light Brown Sugar (OR White Sugar), and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until set.
- Serve hot with Ice Cream OR Thickened Cream.