This creamy soup has no dairy product added. I didn’t add Flour either. The soup is thick and creamy because of Oats. My ‘Miso Oats Porridge’ inspired me to make this soup. Adding Oats is absolutely the easiest way to make a soup thick and creamy. You may wish to use Butter and Milk, add some Parmesan for topping, and that would be delicious.
1/2 tablespoon Oil of your choice *OR Butter
1/2 Onion *finely chopped
1 Potato *cut into small pieces
1/2 head Broccoli *cut into small florets or small pieces
2 cups Chicken Stock OR Vegetable Stock *You can use Stock & Milk
Salt & Pepper
1/3 to 1/2 cup Rolled Oats OR Quick Oats
Crispy Bacon for topping *optional, I cooked about 60g
- Heat Oil in a saucepan over medium low heat, cook Onion. When it changed colour, add Potato and the hard parts of Broccoli, and stir for a few minutes.
- Add Chicken Stock (OR Stock of your choice) and soft parts of Broccoli, cover with a lid, and bring to the boil. Cook until vegetables are soft.
- Meanwhile, cut Bacon slices into small pieces and cook in a frying pan over medium low heat until crispy. Transfer onto a piece of paper towel to remove excess fat.
- When all vegetables are soft, season with Salt & Pepper, add Oats, and cook for a few minutes or until the soup is thick and creamy, and Oats are cooked.
- Place some crispy Bacon pieces on top and enjoy. *Note: Parmesan Cheese would be nice, too.