This dough is almost identical to my ‘Basic Sweet Bread Dough’, however the timing to add Butter is different. It’s after the soft dough is formed. Your hand gets greasy and you need a work surface to kneed the Butter into the dough. For this type of work, Non-Slip Silicone Pastry Mat is very handy.
1/2 cup Warm Milk
1 teaspoon Dry Yeast *1 teaspoon takes longer time to proof
1 & 3/4 cups Bread Flour
2 tablespoons Caster Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 Egg *lightly whisked *save 1 tablespoonful for glazing
20g Butter *softened
- Place Warm Milk and Dry Yeast in a bowl, mix gently and set aside.
- Combine Bread Flour, Sugar and Salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the yeast mixture and Egg. Mix well to form a soft dough.
- Wrap the softened Butter with the dough, and knead for 5 minutes or until Butter is well combined and the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Divide the dough into 8 portions. Roll out each portion into a long narrow triangle. Roll up each triangle starting from the wide side, and tucking the thin end under the roll.
- Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Set aside in a warm place for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Preheat oven to 180℃.
- Gently brush with the remaining Egg, then bake for about 15 minutes or until nicely browned.