‘Crostata’ is Italian baked tart. The reason why I call this tart ‘Crostata’ is because a photo of ‘Hazelnut Crostata’ taken on a street in Florence had inspired me to create it. My shortcrust pastry is super-easy as always. Using ready-made Sweetened Chestnut Puree (Cream or Paste), this crostata can be made so easily. If you can’t find the Sweetened Chestnut Puree, you can try with ‘Nutella’ instead. ‘Nutella Crostata’ is also yummy.
125g Butter *softened
1/3 cup Caster Sugar
1 Large Egg
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 & 3/4 cups Plain Flour
200 to 300g Sweetened Chestnut Paste
200g Peeled Cooked Chestnuts
- Beat softened Butter and Sugar until smooth. Beat in Egg and Vanilla, and mix well. Add Flour and mix to combine, bring the mixture together, and shape into a disc. *Note: Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes if too soft.
- Roll the dough to 4-5mm thickness and transfer to a pie dish. Trim off the extra dough. *Note: You can spread the dough in the pie dish bit by bit by your hands. Make sure it is all same thickness.
- Spread the Sweetened Chestnut Puree over the pastry, sprinkle with coarsely chopped Chestnuts evenly.
- With the extra dough, make strips to create a lattice finish OR make crumbles and spread over.
- Bake in pre heated oven at 180° for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden.
- Cool completely. Cut into wedges and enjoy.
- I used coarsely chopped Roasted Almonds instead of Chestnuts for the photo below.
Leave a Reply