Creamy Mushroom Sauce is very popular and I believe everyone has their own recipe. I have shared my Creamy Mushroom Sauce recipe on this website, but actually I always cook it slightly differently. Sometimes I use Sour Cream, use different Herbs, add Sake (Rice Wine) OR use Chicken Stock only, and I sometimes use Oil instead of Butter. This is how I cook it most often. You don’t need to add Flour to thicken the sauce. Today I added pan-fried Chicken that was so good with this sauce.
400g Chicken Thigh OR Breast Fillets
Salt & Black Pepper
2 tablespoon Plain Flour
10g Butter *OR 1 tablespoon Oil
Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Extra Butter *OR Oil
6 to 8 Mushrooms *about 150g, thickly sliced
1/2 Onion *thinly sliced
1 clove Garlic *finely chopped
2-3 tablespoons Sake (Rice Wine) OR White Wine *I use Sake (Rice Wine) because I always have it.
1/4 cup Chicken Stock
1/4 cup Cream OR Sour Cream *You can add more
Salt & Pepper
Thyme, Parsley, Dill, Chives, etc. *Note: I used Thyme. I added some sprigs when I simmered the sauce and sprinkled with some leaves before serve.
- Clean Mushrooms and slice thickly. Thinly slice Onion and finely chop up Garlic.
- Prepare Chicken. If you use Breast Fillets, cut in half horizontally. Season with Salt & Pepper, sprinkle with Plain Flour, and coat each Chicken piece very well.
- Melt Butter (OR heat Oil) in a large frying pan, non-stick preferred, over medium heat, and cook Chicken until both sides are nicely browned and just cooked through. Transfer to a plate.
- To make Creamy Mushroom Sauce, add some extra Butter (OR Oil) to the same frying pan and cook Onion, Mushrooms and Garlic.
- When cooked, add Sake (Rice Wine) OR White Wine, and stir for 1 minute. Then add Chicken Stock, season with Salt and Pepper, and cook for a few minutes.
- Lower the heat, add Cream (OR Sour Cream), stir to combine, return the Chicken to the sauce, simmer for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle with the Herb of your choice, and serve with Mashed Potato OR Rice, and steamed Veggies. *Note: I used Thyme that is my favourite for this sauce. I added some sprigs when I simmered the sauce and sprinkled with some leaves before serve.
Leave a Reply