How many times have I cooked this dish? This dish was one of my children’s favourite dishes when they were young. This is definitely not a low-calorie food but a yummy comfort food. Macaroni can be replaced with Spirals or Pennette. I used red cheddar for this photo but it can be off-white cheddar or any tasty cheese.
I sometimes add Broccoli, Spinach or Mushrooms because my son used to be a very fussy eater and I was always trying to get him eat veggies. This dish certainly brings back my memories of their childhood.
2 cups (*about 260g) Macaroni
1 Onion *sliced
250 to 300g Chicken Thigh Fillets
3 tablespoons Plain Flour
2 cups Milk
100g Tasty Cheese *Cheddar Cheese, grated
Salt & Pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup Panko Breadcrumbs *optional
Chopped Parsley to serve
- Preheat oven to 200℃. Lightly grease a large baking dish.
- Cook Macaroni in boiling salted water, following packet directions, until just tender. Drain and transfer to the sauce later.
- Melt Butter in a deep frying pan or a large sauce saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add Onion and Chicken and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add Flour and stir for a few minutes. Reduce heat to medium and slowly add Milk, stirring constantly, until well combined. Cook until sauce comes to the boil.
- Remove sauce from heat. Add Cheddar Cheese, and season with Salt and Pepper. Stir until cheese has melted.
- Transfer the drained cooked Macaroni into the sauce and combine well.
- Spoon into the baking dish. Sprinkle with Panko Breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden. Sprinkle finely chopped Parsley on top and serve.