I often cook this ‘Chirashi-zushi’, a type of Sushi which is a kind of decorated rice salad, as a side dish for BBQ. Crunchy ‘Edamame’ are very tasty when mixed with sushi rice. Decorate it with your favourite toppings. This can be a fun cooking activity for children.
Japanese Short Grain Sushi Rice 3 cups *180ml cup
Carrot 1/2 *sliced, blanched in salted water
Cucumber 1/2 to 1 *thinly sliced, slightly salted
Dried Shiitake 40g *cooked Sweet Soy Broth (Suger 1 : Soy Sauce 2 : Mirin 1)
Edamame 1 cup *cooked, removed from pods
Oil 1 teaspoon
Sushi Vinegar Ingredients
Rice Vinegar 72ml
Sugar 60g *slightly less 1/4 cup
Salt 1 & 1/4 teaspoons
- Cook Rice with slightly less amount of water to achieve firmer texture. When Rice is cooked, allow it to steam for 10 minutes.
- Make sushi vinegar by mixing Rice Vinegar, Sugar and Salt. Pour the sushi vinegar over the HOT rice, then empty it into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix it well gently and thoroughly, fanning the rice with a fan or piece of cardboard to help the rice cool quickly. Quick cooling gives a glossy texture to the rice.
- Cover the rice with a damp cloth to stop the rice drying out.
- Prepare other ingredients for mixing and topping.
- Place thinly sliced Cucumber into a bowl, add Salt and massage, then rest for a while. Squeeze the Cucumber to remove excess water.
- Soak the Dried Shiitake in cold water until soft, drain and slice thinly. (OR use already sliced Dried Shiitake.) Place in a sauce pan, add just enough water to cover, 1 tablespoon Sugar, 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce & 1 tablespoon Mirin, cook for 20 minutes or the broth is thickened. Set aside to cool and squeeze slightly to remove excess liquid.
- Heat small amount of Oil in a frying pan and cook Eggs to make firm scrambled egg. Transfer to a plate.
- Carrot and Snow Peas need to be blanched in salted water. Do not over cook.
- Mix Sushi Rice, Cucumber, Edamame and Shiitake to combine.
- Finally decorate with toppings.