Chirashi-zushi is a very popular type of Sushi which is a kind of decorated rice salad consisting of Sushi Rice topped with Vegetables, Seafood or thin strips of fine Omelet. You can buy ready-made Chirashi-zushi Mix, which you simply mix with hot cooked rice.
4 to 6 Servings
3 cups (*180ml cup) Japanese Short Grain Sushi Rice
72ml Rice Vinegar
60g Sugar *slightly less 1/4 cup
1 & 1/4 teaspoons Salt
Freshly Cooked Hot Rice (*cooked from 180ml x 3 cups uncooked Rice)
Chirashi-zushi no Moto (Chirashi-zushi Mix)
Your Favourite Toppings
• Eggs *thin omelet, firmly scrambled, boiled
• Cucumber, Avocado, Carrot, Snow Peas, Asparagus *Some vegetables should be blanched in salted water
• Cooked Prawns, Smoked Salmon, Sashimi
• Unagi (Eel) Kabayaki, Grilled Fish, Marinated Fresh Seafood
• Shredded Nori, Roasted Sesame Seeds, Shiso, Spring Onion
• Shiitake Mushrooms cooked in Sweet Soy Broth *See ‘Method 6’
- Cook Rice with slightly less amount of water to achieve firmer texture. When Rice is cooked, allow it to steam for 10 minutes.
- Make Sushi Vinegar by mixing Rice Vinegar, Sugar and Salt. Pour the sushi vinegar over the hot rice, then empty it into a large mixing bowl. (*If you use ready-made Chirashi-zushi Mix, simply mix with freshly cooked hot rice following the instruction on the package.)
- Mix well gently and thoroughly, fanning the rice with a fan or piece of cardboard to help the rice cool quickly. Quick cooling gives a glossy texture to the rice.
- Cover the rice with a damp cloth to stop the rice drying out.
- Place the rice on a plate and decorate it with your favourite toppings, OR you may wish to mix some vegetables with rice.
- How to prepare Shiitake: Soak Dried Shiitake in cold water until soft, drain and slice thinly (OR use Dried Sliced Shiitake). Place in a saucepan, add just enough water to cover, add 1 tablespoon Sugar, 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce & 1 tablespoon Mirin, cook for 20 minutes or the broth is thickened. Set aside to cool. Squeeze slightly to remove excess liquid.
Leave a Reply