Many years ago, when my family lived in Japan for a short period of time, my then young children fell in love with many Japanese foods. ‘Stick Bread’ was one of their favourites. Slightly sweet stick-shaped soft bread was in a perfect bite-size for young children. ‘Milky Stick Bread’ was lovely, but my son’s favourite was this ‘Choco Chip Stick Bread’. I tried to recreate them.
1/2 cup Warm Milk
2 tablespoons Condensed Milk
1 tablespoon Sugar
1 teaspoon Dry Yeast
1 cup Bread Flour
1/2 cup Plain Flour *plus extra 1-2 tablespoons for kneading
1 teaspoon Cocoa Powder *optional
1/2 teaspoon Salt
20g Butter *softened
1/4 cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- Heat Milk, Condensed Milk and Sugar in microwave for 30 seconds. When the mixture is warm, add Dry Yeast and mix well. Set aside while you are preparing dry ingredients.
- Combine Bread Flour, Plain Flour, Cocoa Powder and Salt in a large bowl, add the milk & yeast mixture and softened Butter. Mix well to form a soft dough. Knead for 2 to 3 minutes, gradually adding extra Flour as required, until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Turn onto lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 8 even portions. Roll out each portion, scatter 1/2 tablespoonful Mini Chocolate Chips evenly, roll up, pinch the edges to close at both ends, and form into a long stick.
- Place on baking paper on a baking tray, sealed side down. Set aside for 30 minutes to rise. Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until sticks are golden brown.