Here is an old recipe from my recipe notebook. This Chocolate Salami is made with No-Egg and No-Cream. I found the original recipe in a book many years ago, but it didn’t work well. I reduced the amount of Butter. As it was very bitter, I reduced the amount of Cocoa Powder and started adding some Sugar. Now the recipe is quite different from the original one. You can add Dried Fruit instead of Nuts.
100g Sweet Biscuits *I used Marie Biscuits
100g Roasted Nuts *e.g. Almonds, Pistachio OR Hazel Nuts, etc.
*Note: You can use Dried Fruit instead of Nuts.
100g Dark Chocolate
100g Unsalted Butter *softened
2 to 3 tablespoons Caster Sugar *OR 4 to 6 tablespoons Icing Sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons Rum, Brandy, Amaretto OR Espresso (Coffee), etc.
*Note: If you don’t add any of these, add Milk.
1/4 cup Cocoa Powder
Icing Sugar for decoration
- Coarsely break Sweet Biscuits and coarsely chop up Roasted Nuts.
- Cut Dark Chocolate into small pieces, place in a heat-proof bowl, and melt over boiling water OR in the microwave.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix softened Butter, Sugar and Rum (OR other liquid) until smooth. Add Cocoa Powder and mix well.
- Add melted Chocolate, mix well, then add Biscuits and Nuts, and combine evenly. Cool until slightly firmer.
- Place a sheet of plastic food wrap on a flat surface, spoon the mixture on the sheet, pack tightly, and FIRMLY roll it and form a log. (You may prefer making two smaller logs.) Twist the ends and secure. Leave it in the fridge for several hours OR until firm.
- When the Chocolate Salami is firm, remove the plastic wrap, dust with Icing Sugar all over and gently rub to coat it, and slice it 1cm thick. Warmed knife helps to slice it neatly.
- *Note: If the Salami is crumbly, it can happen when it is not rolled firmly, wrap it with plastic wrap OR foil very tightly, then cut it. After cut it, remove the plastic wrap OR foil.