I believe many people love ‘Creme Caramel’. Have you ever tried to make it? It’s actually easy. My favourite cooking method is baking in the oven, but you can cook it in different ways. My ‘Creme Caramel’ recipe is very simple. I have been using this recipe for decades. Today I added Coffee to make coffee flavoured Creme Caramel. Coffee lovers would enjoy the bitterness of this delicious dessert.
4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) Caster Sugar *1 tablespoon is 15ml
4 teaspoons Water
*Note: If you cook Caramel in a saucepan, cook slightly more amount. See ‘Method 2’
4 large Eggs
2 cups (500ml) Full Cream Milk
1 tablespoon Instant Coffee Granules
1 to 2 tablespoons Hot Water
*Note: If you don’t have Instant Coffee, mix Espresso and Milk, and make 2 cups coffee flavoured Milk
6 tablespoons Caster Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Caramel using Microwave: Place 1 tablespoon Caster Sugar and 1 teaspoon Water in each ramekin (OR mug with flat base). Cook in the microwave until Sugar turns brown. Set aside and cool. The caramel will harden. *Note: Using my 1100W microwave, it takes 1 minute & 20 seconds per ramekin.
- Caramel using Saucepan: Place 1/3 cup Caster Sugar and 2 tablespoons Water in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil, and cook without stirring until brown. Pour the Caramel into 4 ramekins and cover the base. Set aside and cool.
- *Note: After you finished, place hot water into the saucepan, so that the remaining hardened Caramel will dissolve and you can easily clean the saucepan.
- Custard: Place Instant Coffee Granules and Hot Water in a saucepan, add Milk, Sugar and Vanilla Extract, and heat over medium heat to just WARM the mixture. Mix well until Coffee and Sugar have dissolved, and set aside. *Note: DO NOT bring to the boil.
- Preheat the oven to 150℃. Line the base of a roasting pan with a tea towel and place the ramekins on the tea towel.
- Whisk Eggs in a bowl, gradually add the WARM milk mixture, whisking well. Pour the custard mixture into the ramekins. *Note: It is your choice to pour the mixture into the ramekins through a fine strainer for extra smooth texture.
- Pour boiling water to the pan about 2cm deep. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until softly set. DO NOT over-cook. It might look very wobbly. *Note: If the mixture was fairly warm, it can be cooked in 20 minutes. 30 minutes should be enough.
- Set aside and cool. When it is cool enough, place in the fridge and chill for 2-3 hours. Before you serve, run a sharp knife around the ramekins and turn onto serving plates.
- *Note: Creme Caramel can be cooked in the Steamer, Pot OR Frying Pan. Find other cooking methods at ‘Creme Caramel Individual Serve’.
Leave a Reply