Smoked Ham is often used for Fried Rice. Many people add Egg, Carrot and Peas, and the Fried Rice turns very colourful. I tried to make a similar rice dish using my rice cooker. Place everything in the rice cooker’s inner pot and press the start button. Super easy, energy efficient, delicious and nutritious.
200g Smoked Ham *cut into small bite-size pieces
2 cups (*180ml cup) Short OR Medium Grain Rice
400ml Chicken Stock
Salt *optional, add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon if stock is not salted
2 tablespoons Sake (Rice Wine) *OR extra Stock
1/2 Onion *finely chopped
1/2 to 1 Carrot *cut into small bite-size pieces
1/2 cup Corn Kernels
1 tablespoon (15g) Butter *cut into small cubes
*Note: You can use Olive Oil OR Sesame Oil instead of Butter. Alter the amount to suit your preference.
Ground Pepper as required
1/2 cup Peas OR Edamame Beans *thawed if frozen
Soy Sauce *optional
- Place Smoked Ham pieces and Onion in Rice Cooker’s inner pot.
- Wash Rice and drain, and spread over the Ham. Scatter Carrot and Corn Kernels.
- If Chicken Stock is not salted, season with Salt. Add the Chicken Stock and Sake (Rice Wine) to the pot, but DO NOT stir. Scatter Butter on top. Add some ground Pepper.
- Press ‘COOK’ button to start cooking. When cooked, add Peas (OR Edamame Beans), and let it steamed for 10 minutes. Then loosen and mix gently.
- Taste the rice, add a little bit of Soy Sauce OR extra Salt and Pepper as required, and mix to combine. *Note: You can add some finely chopped Parsley OR Spring Onion to serve.