The other day, I added leftover Cream Cheese to my Lemon Cookies. Cookies were not sweet enough. That’s because Cream Cheese was added, and also I added extra Flour as the dough became awfully soft. Adding extra Flour was a bad decision. I should have cooled the dough in the fridge. The very soft and sticky dough becomes firm when chilled, and it would be easy to roll into balls. I always tend to use less Sugar, but Cookies should be reasonably sweet. I increased the amount of Sugar for this recipe.
125g Butter *cut into small pieces and softened
125g Cream Cheese *cut into small pieces and softened
*Note: Use salted Butter and salted Cream Cheese. If you use Unsalted Butter and Cream Cheese, you need to add some Salt to the dough.
1 cup Caster Sugar
1 large Egg *lightly whisked
Zest of 1 Lemon *finely grated
1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
*Note: You can add 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract instead of Lemon
1 & 3/4 cups Self-Raising Flour
Icing Sugar for dusting *optional
- Preheat oven to 180℃. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Beat softened Butter, softened Cream Cheese and Sugar until smooth and well combined. Beat in Egg and mix well. Add Lemon Zest and Lemon Juice (OR Vanilla), add Flour, and mix to form a dough.
- This dough is too soft and sticky to roll. Leave it in the fridge until firm.
- Roll the dough into 24 balls and place on the prepared trays.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes OR until lightly golden. Cool on the trays for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack, and cool completely.
- *Note: Today I dusted with Icing Sugar when the cookies are cooled.