I love ‘Prawn Wonton Soup’ and I bet you do. My family members love it too, but they love this ‘Crispy Fried Prawn Wontons’ even more. It is surprisingly easy to make at home and wrapping can be done even by children. These Fried Wontons can be a very popular party food, too.
25 to 30 Pieces
200 to 250g shelled Prawns *thawed if frozen
1 to 2 Spring Onions *finely chopped
1 small piece Ginger *grated
2 to 3 Shiitake Mushrooms *optional, finely chopped
1 tablespoon Egg White
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 tablespoon Potato Starch OR Corn Starch
1 pack Wonton Wrappers *25 to 30 sheets
Oil for frying
4 tablespoons Ponzu *OR 2 tablespoons Rice Vinegar & 2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1/2 Spring Onion *finely chopped
Rā-yu (Chilli Oil) *optional
Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix) *optional
- Coarsely chop up shelled Prawns, add Spring Onion, Ginger, Shiitake, Egg White and Potato Starch, then Salt & Pepper and mix well.
- Place 1 wonton wrapper on a flat surface such as a plate, place 1 heaped teaspoon prawn mixture in centre. Wet edges with water and fold up to form a triangle and pinch to enclose very well.
- *Note: If you are willing to do an extra work, make some pleats on the top sides of the triangle, then press firmly.
- Repeat with remaining mixture and wrappers.
- Heat Oil to 160 to 170℃ and deep-fry them until nicely browned. *Note: If the oil is too hot, Wontons get browned too quickly before the filling is cooked.
- Serve with your favourite dipping sauce. My favourite dipping sauce is Ponzu. If you don’t have Ponzu, use Soy Sauce and Rice Vinegar. I added Spring Onion and Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix) to the sauce.
- *Note: I used yellow coloured wrappers for the triangle Wontons in the below photo.
Leave a Reply