There is a baked pastry called ‘Escargot’ and I love it. The one that a local bakery is selling has Custard and Sultanas in it. These ‘Puff Pastry Twists’ are inspired by the bakery’s ‘Escargot’. It takes only a few minutes to make the Custard in the microwave. Using store-bought Frozen Butter Puff Pastry, these delicious Twists are super easy to make.
12 OR 18 Twists
1 sheet Butter Puff Pastry *thawed
1/4 cup Sultanas *optional
Quick & Easy Custard
1 Egg Yolk
2 tablespoons Caster Sugar
1/2 tablespoon Custard Powder *You can use Corn Starch OR Plain Flour
1/4 cup Milk
*Note: You may wish to add a few drops of Vanilla Extract OR Rum for flavour
- To make Custard, whisk all the ingredients in a heat-proof bowl until smooth, heat in the microwave for 30 seconds, whisk, then heat again and bring to the boil. Whisk until smooth, then cool.
- Preheat oven to 200℃. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place a sheet of Butter Puff Pastry on a floured surface, cut in half, evenly spread cooled Custard, scatter Sultanas on one of 1/2 sheet, cover with the other half, and press slightly.
- Cut into 3 pieces, then cut each piece into 4 strips.
If you don’t add Sultanas, you could cut each piece into 6 strips.
- Press both ends of each strip slightly so that layers stick to each other, then twist the strip, having the custard side inside, then place on the prepared baking tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until nicely browned, then place on a wire rack and cool.
- *Note: The photo below is Custard only version.