I am a big fan of Flammkuchen (OR Flammekueche), that is sometimes called ‘German Pizza’. Just like ‘Italian Pizza’, toppings can be anything. Today I used Edamame Beans (Young Soy Beans). In Melbourne where I live, Frozen Edamame Beans are widely available even from ordinary supermarket stores. This is a Vegetarian version of Flammkuchen and it was yummy.
2 to 4 Servings
1 heaped cup Plain Flour OR Bread Flour *about 1 & 1/4 cups
1 teaspoon Baking Powder *optional
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup Warm Water
1 tablespoon Olive Oil *OR Vegetable Oil
100g Sour Cream *OR Creme Fraiche
1 pinch Salt
2-3 teaspoons Wholegrain Mustard
1 cup Edamame Beans *thawed if frozen
1/8 teaspoon Salt *if Edamame Beans are not salted
1/2 Onion *thinly sliced OR finely chopped
Salt & Black Pepper
- If Edamame Beans are not salted, add 1/8 teaspoon Salt and mix well, then set aside.
- Combine Flour and Salt in a bowl. Add Warm Water and Olive Oil. Mix until a dough comes together. Knead, adding more Flour if required, until smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough into 2 portions if you prefer. Roll out or flatten the dough into a thin oblong or round, and place on a baking tray(s), lined with baking paper if necessary.
- Mix Sour Cream (OR Creme Fraiche) and 1 pinch Salt, add Wholegrain Mustard and mix roughly, spread on the base, scatter Onion and Edamame Beans evenly, and sprinkle with ground Black Pepper.
- Bake in a hot oven over 200℃ until nicely browned and edges are crispy. *Today I baked it at 240℃ for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with extra Salt & Black Pepper as required, and enjoy.