This is a Korean inspired ‘Takikomigohan’, that is a Japanese dish of Rice cooked with all other ingredients and seasonings. This ‘Gochujang Chicken Rice’ is absolutely easy to cook if you have a rice cooker. I can’t live without rice cooker. It makes everyday cooking so much easier. While Gochujang Chicken Rice is cooking, make a soup and a refreshing salad. A delicious meal can be prepared without no effort.
2 cups (*180ml cup) Short OR Medium Grain Rice
250g Chicken *I used Thigh Fillets, cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 Onion *finely chopped
1 clove Garlic *finely chopped
1 Spring Onion *finely chopped
Toasted Sesame Seeds
2 tablespoons Gochujang (Korean Spicy Miso) *1 tablespoon is 15ml
1 tablespoon Sugar
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Sake (Rice Wine)
1 teaspoons Sesame Oil
400ml Chicken Stock *OR Water and 1 teaspoon Asian Chicken Bouillon Powder
- Place all the Soup ingredients in a measuring jug OR bowl, and mix well.
- Place Chicken pieces in rice cooker’s inner pot.
- Wash Rice, drain well, and spread over the Chicken.
- Scatter Onion and Garlic. Gently pour the Soup over, but DO NOT stir.
- Press the Cook/Start button. When the rice is cooked, let it steamed for 10 minutes, then gently mix.
- Sprinkle with some finely chopped Spring Onion and toasted Sesame Seeds, and serve. *Note: Some shredded Toasted Nori is also nice to add.
We don’t eat chicken but I’m thinking baked tofu and vegetable broth paste would make good substitutes in this recipe….thoughts?
If I go vegetarian, I would use ‘Abura-age’ (Fried Thin Tofu) that can add excellent flavour. Vegetable broth is good, too. I would add some Asian Mushrooms and more vegetables such as Carrot. At the end of cooking, Edamame can be added, too. Well… vegetarian version would be delicious.