Several years ago, I received a message form a person, whose name was Asa, about Cabbage Rolls. She wrote that Cabbage Rolls are known as ‘Golubtsi’ in Eastern European region where her family is from, and she introduced me a ‘lazy’ form of ‘Golubtsi’. She kindly gave me her recipe and I have shared it on this website as ‘Asa’s Golubtsi’. I also shared ‘Baked Stuffed Capsicums’ using her ‘Golubtsi’ mixture. This is a slightly quicker and easier version of it for 4 servings. You can easily increase the amount of mixture by adding more Cabbage and more Rice to cook this dish for a larger number of servings.
4 Capsicums *Today I used Red Capsicums
1 tablespoon chopped Parsley
*Note: You may wish to add some shredded Tasty Cheese
*Note: Add more Cabbage and more Cooked Rice for larger Capsicums OR more servings.
1/2 cup Cooked Rice
1/2 Onion *finely chopped
500g Ground Meat (Pork & Beef)
1/4 cup Breadcrumbs
2/3 teaspoon Salt
1/3 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Cabbage needs to be shredded or thinly sliced. Blanch in the boiling water, so that it shrinks. Drain and cool in cold water, then squeeze to remove excess water. Place in a large bowl.
- Add Cooked Rice, finely chopped Onion, Ground Meat, Egg, Breadcrumbs, Salt and Pepper. Mix well.
- Cut Capsicums in half, remove the seeds and stems, firmly fill each Capsicum with the meat mixture.
- Oil a baking dish, place the stuffed Capsicums, add a small amount of Water (about 1/4 cup), cover with a sheet of foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil, now you can add some shredded Cheese on top if you want to do so, then bake for 15-20 minutes or until nicely browned.