This recipe must be credited to a person whose name is Asa and who gave me her recipe of ‘Golubtsi’. Asa’s ‘Golubtsi’ is not only delicious but also light & healthy as it is full of vegetables, especially Cabbage. I simply filled Red Capsicums with her ‘Golubtsi’ mixture and baked them. Tasted great and looked amazing. You might be interested in a slightly quicker and easier version ‘Golubtsi’ Stuffed Capsicums.
500g Ground Meat (Pork & Beef)
1 cup Cooked Rice
1/4 to 1/2 head of Cabbage *more Cabbage for larger volume of the mixture
1/2 Onion *finely chopped
1 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
1/4 cup Breadcrumbs
6 Red Capsicums
Shredded Tasty Cheese
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Cabbage needs to be shredded or thinly sliced. Blanch in the boiling water, so that it shrinks. Drain and cool in cold water, then squeeze to remove excess water. Place in a large bowl.
- Add Ground Meat, cooked Rice, finely chopped Onion, Egg, Breadcrumbs, Salt and Pepper. Mix well.
- Cut off the stem end of Capsicums, remove the seeds, fill each Capsicum with the meat mixture, then top with some Shredded Tasty Cheese.
- Place the stuffed Capsicums in a baking dish, cheese side up. *Note: I used a cast iron frying pan.
- Bake for 1 hour. If the top of the Capsicums is getting too dark, cover with foil. Enjoy as they are or with your favourite sauce.