Souvlaki is my family’s favourite Greek food and we always enjoy Souvlaki with flatbread. I use to buy the Souvlaki bread, but I realised that I could make them at home. My recipe is based on my ‘1-Hour Focaccia’ recipe and these bread are better than store-bought ones as always. And it’s EASY!
Warm Water 100ml
Dry Yeast 1 teaspoon
Sugar 1/2 teaspoon
Olive Oil 1 tablespoon
Bread Flour 1 cup & extra
Salt 1/2 teaspoon
Extra Olive Oil
- Place Warm Water, Dry Yeast and Sugar in a bowl, mix gently and set aside.
- Place Bread Flour and Salt in a large bowl, and mix to combine. Make a well in the centre and pour in the yeast mixture and Olive Oil. Mix well to form a soft dough. Knead for 2 to 3 minutes, adding extra flour, until smooth and elastic.
- Divide into 4 balls. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Place a large piece of baking paper on a flat work surface, drizzle some Olive Oil on the baking paper. Place one ball of the dough on the oiled baking paper, drizzle extra Oil over the dough. Using your fingers, flatten the dough to 18-20cm round.
- Heat a frying pan over high heat, then reduce to medium-low heat. Cook bread for 1-2 minutes each side or until lightly browned.
- Repeat with the remaining dough.