I like visiting IKEA stores. And I like IKEA’s meatballs. They taste different from the meatballs I make. One day I wondered how they make the meatballs. I looked at the IKEA website, and found that the ingredients are Meat (Beef & Pork), Onion, Breadcrumbs, Egg, Water, Salt and Pepper. They are very basic ingredients for the meatballs.
I decided to pre-cook the onion using small amount of Butter. This mixture is quite soft and it is difficult to maintain the round ball shape when cook. I would bake them in the oven next time because it is much easier and healthier, and the meatballs can stay in the round shape.
Pork & Beef Mince 500g
Onion 1 *finely chopped
‘Panko’ Bread Crumbs 1 cup
Milk OR Cream 2 tablespoons
Salt 1/2 to 1 teaspoon *1 teaspoon is quite salty
White Pepper 1/4 teaspoon
Allspice OR Nutmeg 1/4 teaspoon *optional
- Place the finely chopped Onion and Butter in a large heat-proof bowl, and cover with a large plate. Heat in the microwave for 2 minutes, mix, and heat 1 more minute.
- Carefully take the bowl out, add cold Milk, mix well and let it cool slightly.
- Add Bread Crumbs and mix well. Add Meat, Egg and seasoning ingredients, and mix to combine well. Roll the mixture into 2-3cm size balls.
*Note: Put some oil on your hands to work if the mixture is sticky.
- Pork & Beef Mince is often quite fatty. If you have a non-stick frying pan, you can cook them without any extra oil or butter. If not non-stick, apply small amount of oil or butter in a heated frying pan over medium heat and cook the meatballs until browned all over.
*Note: Meatballs should be cooked by the time they are browned all over. If doubt, break one and check.
- Alternatively, you can bake the meatballs in the oven. In the oven preheated to 200℃, bake for 15-20 minutes or until meatballs are browned and cooked through.
- Serve the meatballs with your favourite sauce, gravy, mashed potatoes, pasta, or vegetables.