There are many recipes for this classic treat. Basically it is baked sweet pastry that is topped with Jam and Coconut & Egg mixture. I use my ‘Easiest Sweet Shortcrust Pastry’ for the base because it is the right amount for 20cm Square Cake Tin that I most often use. DO NOT add too much Sugar to the Pastry and the Coconut Topping because Jam is very sweet.
20cm Square Cake Tin
Easiest Sweet Shortcrust Pastry
100g Butter *softened
1/4 cup Caster Sugar *can be reduced
1 Egg Yolk *save Egg White for topping
1 cup (*250ml) Self-Raising Flour *OR Plain Flour for firmer and thinner base
1/2 cup Jam of your choice *I used Raspberry Jam
1 saved Egg White
2 tablespoons Caster Sugar
1 cup Desiccated Coconut *add extra 1-2 tablespoons if the mixture is too wet
- Line a 20cm square cake tin with baking paper. Preheat oven to 170℃.
- Mix softened Butter and Sugar until smooth. Add Egg Yolk and mix until creamy. Add Plain Flour and mix as you cut the butter mixture into flour until the mixture turns moist crumbles.
- Spread in the prepared cake tin evenly and press using your fingers OR a large spoon.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes OR until lightly golden.
- Thinly spread Jam over the baked base pastry, which is still very warm.
- Mix 1 Egg, 1 Egg White and Sugar in a mixing bowl, add Desiccated Coconut and mix to combine, then spread the mixture over the Jam evenly, and slightly press down.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes OR until golden.
- Cool in the tin. When completely cooled, take it out, and use a sharp knife to cut into 4-5cm squares.