‘Pampushky’, the Ukrainian Bread Rolls, can be baked OR deep-fried. ‘Pampushky’ can be sweet, and sweet ‘Pampushky’ are often deep-fried and filled with Fruit Jam. Today I baked these sweet ‘Pampushky’. It’s very difficult to wrap ordinary Jam with bread dough. The easiest way is filling Jam after ‘Pampushky’ are baked.
10 to 12 Rolls
2 cups Bread Flour *plus extra
2 teaspoons (7g) Dry Yeast
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 cup Caster Sugar
2 Eggs *whisked
100ml Warm Milk
30g (2 tablespoons) melted Butter OR Sunflower Oil
Fruit Jam *Today I used Strawberry Jam
Icing Sugar for dusting *optional
- Combine Bread Flour, Yeast, Salt and Sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in Eggs, warmed Milk and Melted Butter (OR Oil). Mix well and knead, adding extra Flour as required, for 2 to 3 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Cover with a plate or plastic wrap, and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to 2cm thickness, and cut out rounds using a round cutter or a drinking glass. Today I used 7cm cutter and made 11 rounds. *Note: You can simply divide the dough into 10 to 12 portions and roll each portion into a ball.
- Place the rounds (OR balls) on a baking tray lined with baking paper, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Preheat oven to 180℃.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until nicely browned. Transfer to a wire rack and cool. When cooled, make a hole using a thin knife, use a piping bag attached with nozzle to fill Jam in the ‘Pampushky’.
- Dust with Icing Sugar. *Note: If you want to coat them with Sugar, ‘Pampushky’ need to be wet. You can wet them with Melted Butter, OR deep-frying is better method as it would be easy to coat with Sugar. See ‘Doughnuts’.
Leave a Reply