If you have already shredded Dry Kombu (Kelp), it would be easy to make this salad. As I cannot find shredded Dried Kombu these days, I sliced it by myself. It is not very hard, but you need a simple trick to slice the slippery Kombu. Please find my tip at ‘How To Thinly Slice Kombu (Kelp)’.
25g Dry Kombu (Kelp)
1 tablespoon Sugar
1 & 1/2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 & 1/2 tablespoons Rice Vinegar
1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
1 teaspoon Oyster Sauce *optional if you are Vegan
1 tablespoon Toasted Sesame Seeds
Chilli OR Chilli Flakes *as required
- Clean Dried Kombu (Kelp) and soak in cold water until soft. Tightly roll them up and secure the centre with a toothpick. Use a sharpe knife to thinly slice. *See ‘How To Thinly Slice Kombu (Kelp)’
- *Note: Already shredded Dry Kombu (Kelp) can be soaked in cold water until soft, drain, wash well and drain again.
- Cook sliced Kombu in boiling water until soft. Cooking time can be 2-3 minutes or 15-20 minutes. Please check the softness.
- Meanwhile, combine all the Dressing ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- When Kombu is soft, drain, and add to the dressing, and mix well, then cool. If you are in hurry, rinse the drained Kombu under cold water, and drain well before you add it to the dressing.
- When cool enough, leave it in the fridge. The longer you marinate it, the better it tastes.