It seems many people were surprised to see my ‘Miso & Mozzarella Baked Tofu’ as they never thought of mixing Miso and Mozzarella. My husband prefers Eggplant version to Tofu version. I cooked Eggplant in the same way, but it didn’t work. To make the Eggplant meltingly soft, you need to lower the oven temperature slightly and pre-bake Eggplant. And I believe that the Miso sauce should be slightly sweeter for Eggplant than for Tofu.
1 large Eggplant
Mozzarella *dried and shredded, OR use Pizza Mix
*Today I used 12 Bocconcini cherries.
Finely chopped Spring Onion
2 tablespoons Miso
1 tablespoon Mirin
2 teaspoons Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Cut a large Eggplant lengthways into 4 even slices. Score the skin of two end slices.
- Drizzle Oil over a baking tray and place Eggplant slices. Bake for 10 minutes or until Eggplant slices are softened.
- Combine all the Miso Sauce ingredients and spread on the softened Eggplant slices. Then place some shredded OR torn Mozzarella (OR Pizza Mix) on top.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the Mozzarella is melted and browned. Sprinkle with finely chopped Spring Onion and serve.