‘Necessity is the mother of invention.’ When I wanted to make ‘Okonomiyaki’ on the other day, I didn’t have enough cabbage. That’s why I used thinly sliced cauliflower and learned the cauliflower version was really nice. It is important not to over cook it because the texture can turn quite mushy.
2 to 3 Servings
Self-Raising Flour 1 cup
Water 1/2 cup
Salt 1/4 teaspoon
Cauliflower 1/2 *thinly sliced
Thinly Sliced Pork 200g
Corn Kernels 1/4 cup
Cheddar Cheese 50g *cut into 1cm cubes
Spring Onion 1 *finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 220°C. Make the batter by mixing the Flour, Water, Eggs and Salt.
- Add thinly sliced Cauliflower to the batter and mix it well. Add Corn Kernels and Cheese pieces and combine.
- Line 2 baking trays with baking paper. Spread the mixture on the trays and cover with Thinly Sliced Pork.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until Pork is brown and crisp and the Cauliflower mixture is cooked.
- Place the Okonomiyaki on a large plate or board. Dress with Okonomiyaki Sauce and Japanese Mayonnaise. Sprinkle with finely chopped Spring Onion and serve.