Flammkuchen (OR Flammekueche), sometimes called ‘German Pizza’, is not well known. I am a huge fan of Flammkuchen and make it very often. Topping can be anything if it goes well with Sour Cream. Today I made a sweet one with Persimmon that is in season now. My favourite way to eat Persimmon is with Yoghurt. So I knew Persimmon would go well with the flavour of Sour Cream but more sourness would be needed. I added a small amount of Lemon Juice. I drizzled with Honey. This sweet Flammkuchen was seriously delicious.
2 to 4 Servings
1 heaped cup Plain Flour OR Bread Flour *about 1 & 1/4 cups
1 teaspoon Baking Powder *optional
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup Warm Water
1 tablespoon Oil *I used Sunflower Oil
100g Sour Cream *OR Creme Fraiche
2 teaspoons Caster Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Lemon Juice
1 Persimmon *thinly sliced, you can add more
Walnuts *OR Pecans, Almonds, etc.
- Combine Flour and Salt in a bowl. (Baking Powder is optional. I usually don’t add it.) Add Warm Water and Oil. Mix until a dough comes together. Knead, adding more Flour if required, until smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough into 2 portions if you prefer. Roll out or flatten the dough into a thin oblong or round, and place on a baking tray(s), lined with baking paper if necessary.
- Mix Sour Cream (OR Creme Fraiche), Sugar and Lemon Jucie, spread on the base, arrange Persimmon slices and Walnuts.
- Bake in a hot oven over 200℃ until nicely browned and edges are crispy. Today I baked it at 230℃ for 12 minutes. *Note: Make sure the baking surface is hot to achieve crispy bottom.
- Drizzle with Honey and enjoy.