I have been cooking Ukrainian dishes lately, and that is my way to stand with Ukraine. I am loving Ukrainian dishes, but today my craving for something Japanese kicked in and I decided to make ‘Kakiage’. Kakiage’ is a type of Tempura made with a variety of chopped or sliced Vegetables, often with Seafood. This is ‘Prawn, Asparagus & Onion Kakiage’. You can use Prawns and Asparagus only. In that case, you should double the amount of Asparagus. I believe Onion makes this ‘Kakiage’ taste much nicer. Fried Onion is yummy.
150g shelled Prawns *thawed if frozen, cut into small pieces
1 bunch (120g) Asparagus *sliced diagonally OR cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 Onion *thinly sliced
2 tablespoons Plain Flour
Oil for frying
Salt & Chilli (OR Pepper) to serve *OR ‘Tentsuyu’ (Tempura Dipping Sauce)
*Note: Find ‘Tempura Batter’ recipe
1/3 cup Plain Flour
2 tablespoons Potato Starch OR Corn Starch
Cold Water *enough to make 1/2 cup with the Egg
*Note: You can use Cold Water only
- Clean Prawns and cut into small pieces. Combine Prawns, sliced (OR cut) Asparagus and thinly sliced Onion in a mixing bowl. Sprinkle with Flour and mix to coat.
- Mix the Tempura Batter ingredients in a small bowl, add to the mixing bowl, and combine well.
- Heat deep Oil to 170℃. Slide some large tablespoon sized clumps of the Prawn & Vegetables into the oil and fry. Turn them over a few times. When they are cooked and the batter is golden and crispy, transfer to a rack and drain the oil.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Serve with Salt with ground Chilli (OR Pepper), OR serve with ‘Tentsuyu’ (Tempura Dipping Sauce).
Leave a Reply