There are three commonly used ingredients to season Japanese dishes, and they are Sugar, Soy Sauce and Mirin. They are the essentials in my kitchen. This is a very simply stir-fried Beef & Onion seasoned with Sugar, Soy Sauce and Mirin. This is the flavour I grew up with and I always love. I added Ginger and Chilli today. Of course you can ddd Garlic.
120g thinly sliced Beef *cut into bite-side pieces
Salt & White Pepper
1 teaspoon Potato Starch OR Corn Starch
1 teaspoon Oil *I used Sesame Oil
1/2 Onion *sliced
1 serving warm Cooked Rice
Spring Onion *finely chopped
Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix) *optional
1/2 teaspoon grated Ginger *OR Garlic
1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Mirin
1/2 to 1 teaspoon Sugar *alter the amount
Chilli Flakes *optional
- Combine all the Sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Alter the amount of Sugar to suit your taste.
- Cut thinly sliced Beef into bite-size pieces, season with Salt & White Pepper very lightly, add Potato Starch (OR Corn Starch), and combine.
- Heat Oil in a frying pan over medium heat, cook Onion for 1 minute, add Beef, and stir until Beef is cooked and nicely browned. It won’t take long.
- Add the Sauce, and stir to combine.
- Half fill a bowl with warm Cooked Rice and cover it with the Beef mixture. Sprinkle with finely chopped Spring Onion and Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix), and enjoy.