Well… I wonder how many times I have tried to make Soufflé Pancakes. Every time, I got disappointed as my Soufflé Pancakes were not very tall and they shrank just like Soufflé. I tried many different recipes, altered the recipes, tried to add something that I believed might improve the hight such as Cream of Tartar. I concluded that the Eggs and Flour used by the people who make amazingly tall Soufflé Pancakes on YouTube are different from what I use. Possibly they use a secret ingredient as well. This is the recipe I ended up using and I am happy with it. This easy recipe makes excellent texture and fairly tall Pancakes. You’d better eat them before they shrink. In the above photo, the Pancakes are already shrinking.
2 large Egg Yolks
1 tablespoons Milk *1 tablespoon is 15ml
3 tablespoons Self-Raising Flour
1/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
*Note: Make sure the bowl is absolutely clean and dry.
2 large Egg Whites
2 tablespoons Caster Sugar
1 teaspoon Corn Starch OR Potato Starch
1/2 teaspoon Lemon Juice
Oil for cooking
Icing Sugar for dusting *optional
- Bowl 1: Add Milk and mix well. Add Self-Raising Flour and Baking Powder, and mix well until smooth. This mixture should be fairly thick.
- Bowl 2: Beat Egg Whites using clean and dry whisk OR electric mixer, until soft peaks form. Gradually add Caster Sugar, and beat well until meringue is firm and glossy, and Sugar is well dissolved. Add Corn Starch and Lemon Juice, and beat until combined. *Note: Firm meringue is the key to success.
- Use a spatula to mix a scoop of meringue and Egg Yolk mixture. Add the softened Egg Yolk mixture to meringue, and gently combine.
- Heat a frying pan, thick base pan recommended, over VERY LOW heat, lightly oil the pan, and form tall pancakes. You may wish to use a piping bag.
- Cover with a lid, and cook for 4-5 minutes OR until bottom is nicely browned, gently turn the pancakes over, cover with the lid, and cook for 4-5 minutes. *Note: Make sure the heat is VERY LOW and cover with a lid and trap the heat and steam.
- *Tip: When the batter is not firm enough and you can’t form tall pancakes, DON’T give up. After cooking for 1-2 minutes and batter is half cooked, add some extra batter on top and make the pancakes taller.
- Enjoy Soufflé Pancakes while they are hot. Dust with Icing Sugar, OR enjoy with Whipped Cream, OR Fresh Fruit, etc.